Wednesday, February 17, 2010

No Complaints

Although it poured rain the night before last by mid day yesterday the sun had broken through.

I took my usual Tuesday walk to Safeway to shop and reveled in the cherry blossoms and crocuses in evidence along the way. The sun was warm although the air was chill and I completed my shopping, happy in the knowledge that with laundry done my weekend chores were now complete.

As I walked home carrying my bags I noticed an elderly lady stopped in the sidewalk ahead of me, her face raised skyward as though studying something.

When I crossed the intersection she smiled at me, radiantly and beautifully. I looked up to where she had been looking and I could see the sky filled with crows and pigeons, circling madly.

There must be an eagle up there,” she exclaimed in a strong British accent. I agreed as this is often the cause of such a display of aerial acrobatics.

Sure enough as we looked a young eagle soared into view above the rooftops. Its white plumage was not yet in evidence but it was recognizable by the steadiness of its trajectory amidst the flutterings of the other birds.

We both commented on the beauty of the day and the apparently early arrival of spring and then parted ways, and encounter that left me with a very nice feeling to take home with me.

She had commented on the chill in the air and added, “I’m not complaining mind you.”

No complaints from this quarter either,” I responded as I waved goodbye.

No comments: